Forums

Welcome to our Drumworkout.com Community Forums. This is the place to connect with other Drumworkout.com users to discuss all things drums and your experience with the site. It is also the best place to seek advice and assistance from Drumworkout.com Staff including Bill.

Please note: the views expressed by other users in these forums do not necessarily reflect the views of either Drumworkout.com, our staff or Bill Bachman. Although we will do our best to moderate these forums and keep them fun and friendly, we cannot guarantee the quality or appropriateness of material. Anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and may lead to the cancellation the offender's Drumworkout.com Account. Please our Forum Rules for more information. 

These forums are still in a BETA Testing Phase - we cannot guarantee that it will be perfect/bug free, but we'll do our best!. Please report any bugs or feedback in out BETA Testing Thread.

Thumb placement on free stroke

Posted · Add Comment

Home Forums Ask Bill Thumb placement on free stroke

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill Bachman Bill Bachman 4 days, 22 hours ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Scott Roberts
    Scott Roberts
    Participant
    0 pts

First off THANK YOU for the great content!
    I’m on the extreme hands makeover and I have a question on thumb placement. Should it be parallel to the stick or perpendicular-ish to the stick? It seems on the videos your thumb is on the side of the stick but sometimes it’s in line with the stick.
    Anyway thanks for the info

• #3217 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

First of, thanks for the kind words–brightened my day. 🙂

I can’t give an absolute answer for this, it depends on the stick height and the thumb’s role in what you’re playing. To the first point the thumb can stay in line with the stick up to a little below vertical, plast that it needs to pivot against the thumb as it goes to the side (ending up roughly perpendicular). The other factor is the thumb’s role, the thumb will be operating on the top side 45 of the stick when downward pressure and/or more finger control is needed. When that’s not the case the thumb can hang on the side of the stick not doing much be acting as a guide post on that side.

Check out the “to gap or not to gap” and “Gandalf thumb” videos for more on that. Also the “breaking percussive paradigms” videos.

Does that help?

• #3218 Score: 0
      Profile photo of Scott Roberts
      Scott Roberts
      Participant
      0 pts

Okay . With regard to the free stroke I’m working on my left index finger and thumb fulcrum and I have more control with the thumb on the stick but the stroke is freer with the thumb boxing in the stick from the side. I just don’t want to waste time and energy developing bad habits. You pack all the necessary info in your videos but I don’t always get it on the 1st or 2nd viewing. I’ll check out the other videos you mentioned.
      Thanks for the nuts, bolts and on how to put together a good pair of hands.
      Scott

• #3219 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

It sounds like you’re on the right path with “boxing in the stick from the side” assuming you’re plying a higher stick height.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.