Forums

Welcome to our Drumworkout.com Community Forums. This is the place to connect with other Drumworkout.com users to discuss all things drums and your experience with the site. It is also the best place to seek advice and assistance from Drumworkout.com Staff including Bill.

Please note: the views expressed by other users in these forums do not necessarily reflect the views of either Drumworkout.com, our staff or Bill Bachman. Although we will do our best to moderate these forums and keep them fun and friendly, we cannot guarantee the quality or appropriateness of material. Anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and may lead to the cancellation the offender's Drumworkout.com Account. Please our Forum Rules for more information. 

These forums are still in a BETA Testing Phase - we cannot guarantee that it will be perfect/bug free, but we'll do our best!. Please report any bugs or feedback in out BETA Testing Thread.

Practice Questions/Issues

Posted · Add Comment

Home Forums Ask Bill Practice Questions/Issues

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kane Chong Kane Chong 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Kane Chong
    Kane Chong
    Participant
    0 pts

Hi Bill, just wanted to ask some questions about practice.

1. I think my drum set skills are regressing. (well, I haven’t touched a drum set in a few months……, just got back to the kit a few days ago, and I sucked *facepalm*) Are there any off-the-drums type of practice that you’d recommend doing?

2. Can you create/recommend videos on applying EHM techniques to the drum set? One thing I’d like to learn is how to get used to the feel of different toms and cymbals as well as sound control (especially playing softly).

3. I can’t seem to feel or follow the beat when I’m listening to external speakers/amps while I’m playing. I have no problem with playing with my earphones on though. Is this normal, Bill? (and is there anything I can do?)

Yep, that’s about it. Oh, and how are you doing, Bill? Hope you’re doing great.

• #3199 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

Hi, thanks for the kind greeting!

Playing your drums is a good thing, of course try to keep at it regularly. You can do plenty of coordination things away from the drums. Using your feet flat on the ground is also a good workout, even though most don’t play keeping their heels down.

Your hands should pretty much automatically transfer to the drumset. Even though mot surfaces don’t rebound as well as your pad, that’s OK, you’ll just learn to muscle them out a bit more. (That said, rebounding finesse should remain your goal rather than practicing on pillows where you’ll forever be a stiff/tight player.)

As for listening, you need to be able to hear what/who you’re playing with over yourself. If you’re using big/loud speakers they’ll need to be cranked up as loud as the drums. You may not make any friends doing this though, so earphones that also protect your hearing are the way to go.

Good luck!

• #3200 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

Hi, thanks for the kind greeting!

Playing your drums is a good thing, of course try to keep at it regularly. You can do plenty of coordination things away from the drums. Using your feet flat on the ground is also a good workout, even though most don’t play keeping their heels down.

Your hands should pretty much automatically transfer to the drumset. Even though mot surfaces don’t rebound as well as your pad, that’s OK, you’ll just learn to muscle them out a bit more. (That said, rebounding finesse should remain your goal rather than practicing on pillows where you’ll forever be a stiff/tight player.)

As for listening, you need to be able to hear what/who you’re playing with over yourself. If you’re using big/loud speakers they’ll need to be cranked up as loud as the drums. You may not make any friends doing this though, so earphones that also protect your hearing are the way to go.

Good luck!

• #3201 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kane Chong
    Kane Chong
    Participant
    0 pts

Thanks for the tips, Bill, really appreciate it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.