Forums

Welcome to our Drumworkout.com Community Forums. This is the place to connect with other Drumworkout.com users to discuss all things drums and your experience with the site. It is also the best place to seek advice and assistance from Drumworkout.com Staff including Bill.

Please note: the views expressed by other users in these forums do not necessarily reflect the views of either Drumworkout.com, our staff or Bill Bachman. Although we will do our best to moderate these forums and keep them fun and friendly, we cannot guarantee the quality or appropriateness of material. Anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and may lead to the cancellation the offender's Drumworkout.com Account. Please our Forum Rules for more information. 

These forums are still in a BETA Testing Phase - we cannot guarantee that it will be perfect/bug free, but we'll do our best!. Please report any bugs or feedback in out BETA Testing Thread.

Music's Influence on your life?

Posted · Add Comment

Home Forums Off Topic Music's Influence on your life?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill Bachman Bill Bachman 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Campbell Phillips
    Campbell Phillips
    Keymaster
    2 pts

Hey Guys,

I’m sitting here helping run a band camp with some really great Aussie conductors and educators and thinking how awesome this whole music thing is. Literally life changing stuff for a large number of us.

I was a pretty useless kid who would more than likely have gone off the rails without the influence of music and a particularly good teacher in my life. Now, I get to spend my life travelling the world, working with amazing musicians all the time (and that Bill guy), and hopefully helping make the next generation of kids lives better.

Got me thinking – what does music mean to each of you guys? For some, it can just be an escape from everyday realities, for others a chance to help your community and give something back, for others… who knows?

Would love to hear a bit more about all of you guys and your stories!

Campbell Phillips

Drumworkout.com Support/Lead Developer - Drummer/Percussionist - Teacher - Cat Lover

www.campbellphillips.com.au

• #2639 Score: 0
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    0 pts

The way I see it there is a difference between consuming music and playing music. Listening to music is an emotional escape, that is if I can choose the music myself, I can listen to a lot of different music but there is some music that gets me to a better state of mind. A spiritual thing of sorts. That would be late sixties to early seventies “progressive” music like KC, Renaissance, Van der Graaf Generator, Strawbs etc.
    Playing drums in a cover band, which I am doing at the moment is a different thing, a more physical thing, fun and social. Playing original music would be another thing, but unfortunately I haven’t done that in decades.
    Practicing is more of a zen thing, it’s an addiction nowadays. I wouldn’t be without any of it. Different things but all is good.

• #2661 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

It’s huge for sure. I didn’t pay much attention to music in my youth, but I started playing drums in school band because it seemed like the thing to do (and snare drum looked easier than the clarinet). When my best friend’s mom introduced us to the album ABACAB by Genesis, that was it. The drums, music and passion behind it all grabbed me and I never looked back.

Now I enjoy helping people experience the same types of thrills through making music that I’ve experienced. No matter what the level of the player, progress is exciting and addictive. Drumming has taken me all over the world and I’m grateful for every opportunity to serve people through it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.