Forums

Welcome to our Drumworkout.com Community Forums. This is the place to connect with other Drumworkout.com users to discuss all things drums and your experience with the site. It is also the best place to seek advice and assistance from Drumworkout.com Staff including Bill.

Please note: the views expressed by other users in these forums do not necessarily reflect the views of either Drumworkout.com, our staff or Bill Bachman. Although we will do our best to moderate these forums and keep them fun and friendly, we cannot guarantee the quality or appropriateness of material. Anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and may lead to the cancellation the offender's Drumworkout.com Account. Please our Forum Rules for more information. 

These forums are still in a BETA Testing Phase - we cannot guarantee that it will be perfect/bug free, but we'll do our best!. Please report any bugs or feedback in out BETA Testing Thread.

Free Stroke Isolated

Posted · Add Comment

Home Forums Extreme Hands Makeover Discussion Free Stroke Isolated

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    0 pts

Hi,
    I know this is the most basic concept but I’m having a tough time
    maintaining the pinky on the stick. It slides off or moves when I get a good free stroke.
    I can maintain repeated free strokes only with the tip of the pinky
    on the stick, or no pinky right now. I don’t know.
    I’ve tried rotating my hand inwards, but that feels awkward.
    Rotating my wrist up, I can definitely curl the pinky but
    maintaining it is another story for me to feel a good free stroke.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!.
    Thanks!

• #3180 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Campbell Phillips
    Campbell Phillips
    Keymaster
    2 pts

This is definitely something I remember struggling with Joseph!

I think the biggest thing I found with free strokes is that the fingers take a long time to learn how to work with the stick. If you are having trouble getting the pinky working in sync with the stick (and thus making the freestroke feel bad), then the Finger Adder exercise (step 5 of XHMO) would be a great one to re-visit!

If it helps, I can tell you it will all get better with time (and practice)!

Campbell Phillips

Drumworkout.com Support/Lead Developer - Drummer/Percussionist - Teacher - Cat Lover

www.campbellphillips.com.au

• #3186 Score: 0
      Profile photo of
      Anonymous
      0 pts

Thanks Cam! I’m going to take a look at the finger adder.

• #3187 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

Hi! Focus on getting the wrist to turn all the way up such that the pinkie can wrap around the stick. Think about the stick being in the last joint of the pinkie finger. thanks!

• #3188 Score: 0
      Profile photo of
      Anonymous
      0 pts

Hey! Thanks Bill this is very helpful. Going to take some time.
      Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.