Forums

Welcome to our Drumworkout.com Community Forums. This is the place to connect with other Drumworkout.com users to discuss all things drums and your experience with the site. It is also the best place to seek advice and assistance from Drumworkout.com Staff including Bill.

Please note: the views expressed by other users in these forums do not necessarily reflect the views of either Drumworkout.com, our staff or Bill Bachman. Although we will do our best to moderate these forums and keep them fun and friendly, we cannot guarantee the quality or appropriateness of material. Anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and may lead to the cancellation the offender's Drumworkout.com Account. Please our Forum Rules for more information. 

These forums are still in a BETA Testing Phase - we cannot guarantee that it will be perfect/bug free, but we'll do our best!. Please report any bugs or feedback in out BETA Testing Thread.

flange sound

Posted · Add Comment

Home Forums General Discussion flange sound

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill Bachman Bill Bachman 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    0 pts

Okay, that flange sound…From what I understand, when both sticks hit a drum/pad at the same time it creates a positive and a negative sound wave, which partially cancel each other out. That is why you hear weird overtones. It’s the same sort of thing noise-cancelling headphones do (create negative sound waves to cancel out sound). I’m still a little confused on the exact science, but that’s the gist of it. I also notice when I am playing on a drum (verses pad) double stops also feel very different from regular strokes. I equate this with one stick “stealing the other’s bounce” like on a trampoline when two people are bouncing at the same time and one person goes flying while the other sinks into the trampoline. Maybe that’s because my hands aren’t perfectly even?

• #3173 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

I think you nailed it! I like the science on the sound, I’m not sure, but your theory sounds good. And for the drum, yes, the 2 people on a trampoline is there reference I use. Bottom line, I don’t recommend playing double stops on A drum, but on 2 drums is great. I love the double stops on a pad though for the exercise of matching the hand’s techniques/stick heights/velocity. Keep it up!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.