Forums

Welcome to our Drumworkout.com Community Forums. This is the place to connect with other Drumworkout.com users to discuss all things drums and your experience with the site. It is also the best place to seek advice and assistance from Drumworkout.com Staff including Bill.

Please note: the views expressed by other users in these forums do not necessarily reflect the views of either Drumworkout.com, our staff or Bill Bachman. Although we will do our best to moderate these forums and keep them fun and friendly, we cannot guarantee the quality or appropriateness of material. Anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and may lead to the cancellation the offender's Drumworkout.com Account. Please our Forum Rules for more information. 

These forums are still in a BETA Testing Phase - we cannot guarantee that it will be perfect/bug free, but we'll do our best!. Please report any bugs or feedback in out BETA Testing Thread.

Accent Technique (thumb pressure)

Posted · Add Comment

Home Forums Workout Discussions Accent Technique (thumb pressure)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill Bachman Bill Bachman 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Petros
    Petros
    Participant
    0 pts

So I’ve been studying some accent exercises cause there’s a song I’m trying to cover (almost there 🙂 ), Anouk’s – Nobody’s Wife, which has an amazing accent part with some 32nd buzz rolls. So what I’ve noticed was that, because I was concentrating much on getting the right sound, very low strokes, subtle accents etc, I was conditioned by the buzz roll to keep my thumb on top even after the buzz. So I played the 16th single stroke accents by pressing my thumb down, which contributed to loss of stability, resonance, rebound, since the stick got stiff and the rest of my fingers lost contact. I didn’t play purely wrist. I used the thumb as a break I guess.
    When I realised and got aware of that I concentrated on reverting to the normal wrist technique, it sounded and felt a lot better.
    I thought I should share with the community and I’d love to hear if someone else had faced the same issue.

• #3172 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Bill Bachman
    Bill Bachman
    3 pts

Thanks for chiming in. As far as your technique goes, there’s a time for this, and a time for that! Always minimize your influence on the stick and develop the most relaxed & natural flow possible. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.